I heard Karen Inge on Melbourne radio 3AW. This is one of her recipes and a delightful one at that!
3 cups of mixed berries
1/2 cup (or less) of castor sugar
8 slices of bread, crusts removed - you can use panettone (Italian Christmas bread) or raisin bread
Vanilla Yoghurt (Jalna is great)
1. Remove the stalks from the fruit. Wash the fruit and put it with the sugar in a pan.
2. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until fruit is tender. Drain off the juice, reserving 6 tablespoons.
3 Line a 1 litre pudding basin with some of the bread slices, cutting them to fit the basin exactly.
Remove the crusts from the bread.
4. Spoon the fruit, packing it in well. Pour in the reserved juice. Place the remaining bread on top of the fruit.
5. Cover with a plate, small enough to rest on the pudding itself and inside of the bowl, place a heavy can or other weight onto the plate.
6. Leave the pudding overnight in the refrigerator.
7. Turn out.
8. Serve with Vanilla Yoghurt or low fat custard.