Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Daily Bread

Meagan @ ecoMILF is doing a meme at the moment on bread recipes and this week I thought I would join in as I make several loaves a week!!!
This recipe is currently my favourite and is very simple to make;

Oatmeal Bread
makes 1 loaf
prepare loaf tin 

Ingredients:
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups water
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
1/2 cup warm water - extra
1/2 teaspoon caster sugar (I use raw sugar)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 tablespoon of soft brown sugar (I have never added this)
1 teaspoon of salt
3 1/2 - 4 1/2 cups unbleached plain flour (I mix spelt and wholemeal flour instead)
1/4 cup oats - extra (I use sesame seeds instead)
* I add to this recipe 2 tablespoon of Chia seeds, and 2 tablespoon of Flax seeds I throw them in with the first cup of flour; I am also going to try sunflower seeds and pepita's*

Method:
Combine oats and water in a small pan, stir over low heat for 3 minutes or until oats have softened. Set aside in a large bowl until lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in extra water, add sugar. 
*I usually set aside this yeast mixture for 10 or so minutes to activate the yeast*
Add yeast, milk, brown sugar and salt to the oats in large bowl. Stir well to combine. Add flour - 1 cup at a time - until a soft dough forms.
Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding any remaining or needed flour as necessary - until dough is soft and elastic.
Place in a large lightly oiled bowl, brush surface of dough with melted butter or oil. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until well risen.
Punch down and knead for 1 minute. Shape dough and brush with water, sprinkle extra oats onto surface and roll dough onto oats - press gently.
Place into loaf tin, cover and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes or until risen to the top of the tin. Pre-heat oven to 180'C.
Bake for 45 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out dry. Set aside 10 minutes. turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Enjoy!

*edit* this recipe is from Family Circle Classic Essential Bread and Buns; published by Murdoch Books (1995), ISBN 0864114605. It was one of my op-shop finds!

 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a delicious basic loaf. i love adding oats to everything- such a wholesome addition to a recipe. Will definitely give this a try. Thanks for joining in this week! xo m.

    ReplyDelete