Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

chilli

The chillies have been generous in their production, unlike other things growing in the veggie patch this summer.
I did a little Internet searching for a chilli paste recipe (mentioned in this post) and came across an easy Sambal Oelek paste. I honestly thought that I had enough chillies, however my home grown chillies are very light in weight and this recipe calls for 200gms of chillies!! So I did need to purchase a small amount.

Ingredients:
200grams red chillies
1 cup water
1 tspn salt
1 tspn sugar
1 Tblspn white vinegar
1 Tblspn oil

Method:
Place de-stalked and roughly chopped chillies into a pan with water.
Bring water/chillies to the boil and reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
Place the chillies/water into a food processor, add other ingredients and blend until finely chopped.

I also made Sweet Chilli Jam. 
This one is a favourite and has become a regular on my stove top.
Ingredients:
1kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped 
500g sugar
3 Tblspn lemon juice
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
6 long red chillies*, sliced (leave the seeds if you like a bit of heat)
2 tspn salt

Method:
Place the tomatoes and sugar into a large bowl, cover and leave overnight at room temperature.
Transfer this mixture into a large pan and add the remaining ingredients.
Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat, simmer mixture for approx 1 hour or until a nice thick consistency.
Place into sterilized jars and seal.
*I use my home grown small chillies and use approx 12-20. 

Enjoy!

How do you use up your chillies?


No comments:

Post a Comment