Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Nasturtiums


 I initially planted Nasturtiums around the vege patch to attract the White Cabbage Moth away 
from laying eggs on the Broccoli. I cannot remember where I learned 
that this annoying creature is attracted to Nasturtiums.
 This natural form of pest control has reduced the amount of eggs/caterpillars on the vegetables, although I 
do still check and hand pick off a small number of those hungry green caterpillars from the vegetables.
The Nasturtium is growing really well, in fact it is powering on. I have more 
Nasturtium than I know what to do with.
I know that the flowers are edible and can be added to salads.
My curious brain wanted to know more.
What other purpose does the Nasturtium have?
So after a short Internet search I discovered that there is plenty.
 
Therapeutic Effect
The herb's mustard oils are antibiotic, anti fungal, antiviral and antibacterial; these properties can help to treat infections, colds, flu and digestive upsets that stem from an overgrowth of yeast or from parasites. Nasturtium also boosts the immune system, which helps the body to resist infections. Further, it stimulates the appetite, promotes digestion and supports metabolism. Mildly warming, nasturtium makes an ideal chest plaster for coughs.**
** info found here
Some more general information here
And info and recipes here
My curious brain is now satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment